Evie and I had a go at baking some biscuits for valentines day today. I say Evie and I but it was more I. As Evie is only 13 months she was limited to how she could help but I wanted to get her involved and start to enjoy the process of baking!
We found a super easy recipe in an old cookery book…
- 100g Butter (softened)
- 50g Caster Sugar
- 170g plain flour
- Vanilla Extract
For the decoration-
- Red royal icing
- Icing sugar
- Pearl balls
- Pink food colouring
- Firstly, pre heat your oven to 180 degrees/Gas Mark 4 and line a baking tray with grease proof paper.
- Beat the sugar and butter together until creamy
- Add a drop of vanilla extract
- Slowly sieve in the flour and work into the mixture. A dough should form.
- Sprinkle some flour onto your work surface
- Roll the dough out and use heart shaped cutters to make the hearts.
- Place on the baking tray and put in the oven for around 12 minutes.
- Once cooked, place on a wire rack to cool.
- When cool, you can decorate. You can let your imagination run wild.
Evie really enjoyed manipulating the cookie dough, squishing it and rolling it. She helped me to cut the shapes with the cookie cutter and was very nosey about what went in the oven! She was also able to sprinkle the pearly balls o. We both really enjoyed baking together and the best bit was eating the biscuits which didn’t taste too bad. I’m looking forward to making some shredded wheat nests near Easter time.
Here are our finished biscuits. Apologies for the poor quality in the photo, I blame the overcast weather!
We are joining in the #LittleAppetites linky over on Raising Emily and Baby Pebbles blog. Go on over and take a look at all the other fab recipes for you and your little person/people.